Wednesday, October 29, 2008

SChool Board Members

It's always interesting to hear from members of the community that are also involved in the school system because they have so much to say and comment on. However, whenever a students mentions something about NCLB or standardized testing, there seems to be little else discussed. I understand that NCLB is a big deal right now, but I also feel like I am not usually presented with any new knowledge or opinion about it. I guess I'm just tired of hearing the same thing over and over again.

I did agree with one of the members when he mentioned that although academics are important, that doesnt make a well rounded student. He seemed to think, and I agree, that students need social and athletic involvement also. So, although other countries may push education into a higher priority, often the kids are just getting the acedemic side, and don't always have to social skills to be able to interact with their peers and have fun. It reminds me of what we talked about in class; I.Q. will get you the interview, but E.Q. will get you the job.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

School board Cartoon.

Bethany V. said...

I agree that the comment about a well rounded student is essential. I think that a student who is well rounded will not always know an answer off the top of their head that another student might know, but I believe a well rounded student will know how to find the answer. In this way, I think a well rounded student has a variety of useful abilities.

Dana said...

I agree that we have been hearing the same thing over and over again about NCLB so it gets kind of old but at the same time it's a big part of teaching nowadays. I also agree that we need well rounded students. Activities helps students to work as a team and how to socialize and handle different situations that people can put you in. Definitely an example of I.Q. gets you the interview but E.Q. gets you the job.

Samantha McCamy said...

I also agree with everything said, but I want emphasize the well rounded student. In an area like this it is very easy to be involved in everything because there aren't as many students so in order to have different music groups, SADD, Target Team, and many sports teams everyone needs to be super involved. But what about big city schools where you are basically involved in one thing and that's it because the competition is higher so you need to put lots of time and energy into one thing so you can be really good at that thing. If you aren't really good you more than likely won't make the cut and therefore won't be involved at all! Which isn't good!