Friday, September 26, 2008

Chalk and Wire

The lecture on Monday was in regards to the e-portfolio "Chalk and Wire". I like the idea of having the online portfolio because it will force me to be more organized and I will have it with me wherever I am.
The idea of completing the competencies however, seems overwhelming. Since the artifacts and entries are what future employers could be looking at, I want them to be the best that I can make them. However, I'm not always in the mid set that 'ok, this is for a future job and graduation, this has to be perfect'... The competencies do help keep a standard for the students. With out the standards, there is the her-prof-is-so-much-easier problem.
Anyway, overall I'm not thrilled about the competencies and e-portfolio, but I do understand why we have them.

3 comments:

Associate Professor of Education, Luther College said...

In the end, will this process help you become a better teacher? If it will, than it's an important process. If not, what's the point? Thanks for keeping up with this assignment.

Bethany V. said...

I agree with you that the competencies seem a little much. Especially when you say your future employers are going to look at it. I did find out in one of my other classes that before it becomes your "official" portfolio you sit down with a professor or someone in the Education department to make sure it is your best! I also heard it serves as our senior paper. So instead of taking a semester to cram the senior paper, we are taking two to four years to complete it.

Dana said...

I agree that the competencies seem overwhelming but they are all a part of our class assignments so after a while we might get into the mindset that you want this to be the best you can make it. The scoring system is a three-point system so you get a 1 for poor, 2 for average, and 3 for exceeding expectations...that's the basic jist of it. You need a 2 to "pass" it and if you get a one you have a chance to re-do or some profs. might not grade it but just leave you comments so you can fix it before they actually put a score on it. Overall, it will help in the future when we are looking for jobs. Hang in there!